Applied Momentology: Introduction to PAGUSYS
ICS-Compendium Cognitive Series: Volume 7
This is the methodological counterpart to Volume 3, which discusses how to design, develop, maintain, and use a broad range of Project Time Management products and services. This book teaches how the entire Project Team can greatly enhance their individual efforts through a comprehensive and all-inclusive Project Time Management approach.
Concept Behind PAGUSYS
Within the Cognitive Project Management Series, this book is the counterpart text to Volume 5, which provided the Technological perspective on Momentum Management. In this volume we consider the Methodological aspects of Momentum Management. By “methodological,” we refer to the practices, processes, procedures, and other human acts that give life to Momentum Science.
A system is a combination of theory and practical application. Thus, a Project Time Management System combines Technology and Methodology. Under Cognitive Project Management, that system is called Project Administration and Guidance System, or PAGUSYS for short.
PAGUSYS Has Two Subjects of Focus
As the name suggests, PAGUSYS has two subjects of focus: Administration and Guidance. These correlate with two of the four points on the Cognitive F.A.C.E. Diamond: Project Administration and Project Execution.
About the Project Administration Component
The Project Administration component of PAGUSY encompasses all that is necessary to empower and enable the Project Execution effort.
- Surely, the traditional primary functional departments of the Contractor home office come to mind: Procurement, Human Resources, Contracts, Engineering, Finance, and so forth.
- But also consider upper management, from where authority to manage is vested.
In support of Project Administration, PAGUSYS provides an array of new and powerful tools, processes, practices, and the like, designed to integrate Project Administration and Project Execution efforts in a way that has never been adequately addressed by Dominant Project Management.
About the Project Guidance Component
This speaks to the very real and essential role of Project Execution, to guide the work performance itself. To this end, PAGUSYS provides an assortment of processes, procedures, practices, and the like that facilitate maximum Project Time Management during Project Execution.
PAGUSYS Introduces New Tools and Processes
PAGUSYS offers a whole set of new tools and processes designed to facilitate both Project Administration and Project Execution. And let us not forget Project Coordination, the primary role of “the” Project Manager and his office staff. Here are just some of these new tools and processes.
- RAMP Manager:The Resources Availability Management Program insures that Project Execution will have whatever resources it requires to perform its work, in a timely manner, and without disrupting project momentum.
- RADAR Tracker: The Weekly Coordination Meeting is conducted around the RADAR Tracker, a printout given to each meeting participant, which structures weekly actions so that critical administrative and managerial actions are taken in a timely manner so as not to disrupt project momentum. The RADAR Tracker, for instance, calls for Requests for Information (RFIs) to be submitted no less than four weeks before the associated work is scheduled to take place. This is just one example.
- SCOREKeeper:The SCOREKeeper is a software application that runs on handheld devices (tablets, smart phones) and allows the field to interact with a central database where key Project Time Management information is stored.
As just one example, in part it replaces the paper Daily Report. While this is nothing new (as such software already exists), what IS unique is that the activities scheduled to be performed during the upcoming week are uploaded to the SCOREKeeper, and as the work is performed, field progress is recorded daily (in real time). Consider just three benefits:
- There is no need for the end-of-moth “crunch” to update the schedule and turn around reports in a matter of days. This has been a problem for Schedulers for decades. With only a few days to juggle thousands of pieces of data, there is rarely time for much analysis of that data beyond the superficial. Compound this with several projects having end-on-month reports due at the same time, and the problem is easily exacerbated.
- Real time feedback compliments the deep well of vital information coming from the Momentum Sciences, thus giving the Project Execution Team even more opportunity to self-manage, thanks to credible and relevant real-time data. As one example, field personnel can actually “see” their Performance Intensity on a daily basis (just like a speedometer).
- If Project Management enforces a policy that only work shown on the SCOREKeeper will be paid for, then contractors will be more likely to perform the scheduled work “in sequence,” and not ignore the schedule and perform work “out of sequence.” This is the essence of Collaboration, Coordination, and Cooperation, and Communication.